WHO WE ARE
Founded in 1954, by Great Grand Master Ang Lian Huat, we are a real Kung Fu association with an impeccable pedigree.
What we are not:
- We do not teach through translators. All of our teachers speak fluent English, and for many of them it is their first language. So they can communicate complex concepts efficiently
- Our teachers do not go home at the weekends – they live here! They don’t teach for money – they teach because they love Kung Fu and the lifestyle that goes with it.
- We do not serve up a diet of greasy noodles every day. We take pride in our food, it is adapted to western tastes and much of it is organically home grown.
- We do not have classes of 100 students with one teacher standing up front on a podium demonstrating. We have high teacher to student ratios and we use assistant instructors to make sure that there is usually at least 1 teacher per 10 students, usually more.
- Temperatures here do not drop to -40C in the winter. Lowest temperature is usually about 7C in the early morning but will rise to about 28 by breakfast time! Here every day is warm!
- Most importantly, our martial arts were not invented by a government controlled body so as to reflect communist ideology and prevent them from being too lethal. Nor have they been mixed with gymnastics. Nor were they made up by someone who had watched one too many low budget Kung Fu movies!
What we are
Our Kung Fu is real Kung Fu
The Kung Fu of the old Masters. The Kung Fu of legend! Our Kung Fu has been tried and tested over 1,500 years. Our Masters lived through violent times when they had no choice but to defend themselves. What you will learn is what saved their lives and enabled them to live long enough to teach the next generation.
These things are very important to us and show through in everything that we teach.
We have a long lineage of famous Masters and trace our origins back to the Monk Bodhidharma, 1,500 years ago.
Ours are the genuine, original, undiluted arts
In Kung Fu nothing is more important than having a distinguished lineage. It sets apart the people who have learned the genuine arts, the genuine secrets from the brawlers and the con men and those who have just made something up. Meet the people gave our arts to us.
By joining our Kung Fu Family you become very much a part of this lineage.
Great, Great Grand Master Tan Kew Leong:
9 Dragons Tan ( 1898-1967 )
Born to Chinese immigrants during the Japanese occupation of Singapore in the second world war era, Grand Master Tan lived through some difficult times. He began training in the Eng Chun White Crane Art at the age of 8 under his uncle, who was a famous bone setter. His life was built around Kung Fu and Nam Yang Pugilistic Association and he sacrificed a great deal for his association and Kung Fu Family.
Great Grand Master Ang Lian Huat
( 1924-1984 )
Grand Master Tan
( 1943 – 2019 )
Master Iain Armstrong
( 1962 – Present )
This could be your
Kung Fu Family
When you choose to train with us you become part of this lineage. Our story is still being written and you become part of it, you help to write the next chapter.
Now we are
working to produce the
next generation of masters
We are custodians of an ancient art and we take it seriously. It is our job to pass it to the next generation. All of the people who went before us and devoted their lives to our arts, our association, our family put their trust in us, the present generation, to pass on our arts in their true form. Many of the masters who taught us – and especially who taught Master Iain – have passed already. We owe it to their memory to do as they entrusted us: to teach you, and others like you, the real art of Kung Fu with all its history, traditions, culture, philosophy and ethos and perhaps to train you to be a Master too and to pass our arts to yet another generation.
Our arts and our association are gradually spreading to new places. You could bring them to your community too.