INTENSIVE 200 HOUR TEACHER TRAINING COURSE
Shaolin Kung Fu traces its history back to about 420 AD when the sage Bodhidharma taught his unique exercises to the monks of Shaolin.
Nam Yang Pugilistic Association was founded in 1954 in Singapore by Great Grand Master Ang Lian Huat to continue the unbroken lineage.
We are a Kung Fu family which has now spread across the globe and are dedicated to the practise, spirit and philosophy of real Chinese Kung Fu. We use the ancient teachings of Kung Fu to help overcome the challenges of modern life, advance our members and help improve our society. To help achieve these goals we need to train teachers and leaders. This new style concentrated course is intended to produce the next wave of teachers who will help spread the benefits of our training and, in so doing, our society and its people in this time of need.
In one month we can not make you into a legendary Kung Fu master but we can get you off to a good start.
In the words of Kung Fu Grand Master Tan Soh Tin:
"In Kung Fu you need to do only two things to achieve success: start and not give up!"
Benefits of this course:
- Join one of the most established international Kung Fu families.
- Learn to empower people with confidence, self esteem, strength, health, fitness, wisdom and inner peace.
- Defend your self and others.
- Learn how to speak with your body language, facial expression and eye contact.
- Embark on a continuing journey of learning and discovery.
- Extend your personal boundaries, conquer your limitations.
- Lead the way in shaping future generations.
This course includes both hard and soft Kung Fu and Qigong; examines the history, traditions, ethos, culture and philosophy of real Kung Fu and includes practical down to Earth training on how to teach, how to lead people and ‘people skills’. Experienced teachers know that these skills will make or break you as a teacher!
People with a strong desire to become a teacher, leader and role model but who perhaps lack the time and the money to complete a longer course.
It is open to those with no prior experience. A reasonable level of physical fitness is desirable.
Since the schedule is very demanding, only the dedicated should apply.
Character values are important. If you are rude, disrespectful, lazy or similar this is not the right course for you!
- 4 initial lessons to learn the exercise routines.
- Practise sessions most days – with instructors working around and correcting you.
- Experience real Qigong practise in an ideal environment.
- Additional theory lessons: the body’s energy system, benefits to non verbals, character traits, emotional health etc, countering stress and anger – the power of calm.
- Full moon Qigong practise.
- Lessons on how to teach / teaching practise. The only real way to learn is to do it!
- breathing with the diaphragm,
- abdominal compression,
- building elasticity in the fascia,
- opening the joints and using the whole body as a single unit.
- Benefits to non verbals, character traits and psychology.
- How to teach.
- The full 66 step form, learning roughly three postures a day
- Martial applications
- Correction and concentrated feedback by experienced teachers
- Theory on history, background, the names of the moves and their benefits to health (physical, mental and emotional), lifestyle, wisdom, consciousness and enlightenment.
- Supervised teaching practise.
- the moves and drill through them so as to reform your body
- theory so as to unlock the deeper aspects and less obvious benefits
- how to teach Sum Chien and practise on the rest of your group
- How to stretch
- Regular practise
- How to teach
- Clear explanation of the concept
- Learning the training exercises
- Training with our specialised equipment in our ‘Kung Fu gym’
- The real story of Shaolin from its founder, the Indian monk Bodhidharma to present.
- Insights into the hidden world of Kung Fu.
- Introductory lesson
- Periodic lessons on technique.
- Daily practise.
- How to teach
- How to lead.
- How to motivate.
- How to inspire.
‘Great teaching is less about filling a bucket than about lighting a fire’.Organisational / administrative procedures. How to run your own Kung Fu group.
Your training will extend over 6 days a week with Saturday being a rest day and a half day on Wednesday.
A typical daily schedule is as follows:
6.00am – 9.15am Morning training commencing with Qigong and Shuang Yang Pei Ho.
9.15 Breakfast followed by a break.
11.00am – 1.15pm Mid day training.
1.15 – 2.30pm break.
2.30 – 6.00pm Afternoon training session beginning with teacher training for 1 hour.
Total 9 hours / day, 50 hours week.
The course will be lead by Master Iain Armstrong who will deliver a lot of the training directly. The rest of the lead teachers will be:
- Dave Bevan
- Emily McCarten
- Lefa Moffat
- Freya Snelling
Assistant teachers will help as required.
Full package with private room: $3,600US
Full package with room shared between 2: $3,000US
For 2018 only, we are offering a discounted price as follows:
Full package with private room: $2,850US
Full package with room shared between two: $2,250US Payment schedule:
Deposit of 40% secures your place, to be paid on booking. Balance on arrival please.
- What does ‘Nam Yang’ mean?
- The story of Bodhidharma.
- The development of Shaolin Kung Fu.
- The story of Hung Ee Kan and Tee Eng Choon.
- The story of Tee Ley Master
- Ang Lian Huat and his teachers.
- Master Ang Lian Huat and the founding of Nam Yang Pugilistic Association.
- Nam Yang in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Master Tan Soh Tin
- Nam Yang in the 1970s – 1990s.
- Nam Yang 2000 – 2017
- Nam Yang post 2017.
- The Story of the Kung Fu Retreat.
- Philosophies underlying Chinese Kung Fu: Buddhism.
- Philosophies underlying Chinese Kung Fu: Taoism
- Philosophies underlying Chinese Kung Fu: Confucianism
- Kung Fu Ethos: code of conduct. How does it relate to our philosophies?
- Kung Fu Ethos: how does our training reflect our ethos.
- Nam Yang personalities.
- Master Iain’s book ‘Get Your Health Back Fast With Chinese Chi Kung’: digital copy after paying deposit, hard copy on arrival.
- Access to a large volume of notes, videos and pictures stored online.
Ideally we would like you to take up online membership with us which will give you access to substantial video training but this is not included in the course price and is not compulsory.
To name a few, lessons could inlcude:
- Benefits of our art: self esteem, confidence, communication, energy.
- What do people want from Kung Fu training?
- Why is Kung Fu relevant to people in the present time?
- Shuang Yang: meanings behind the names of the 66 moves.
- Kung Fu and psychology: how does Kung Fu affect our thinking?
- Going beyond thought. Embodied psychology. Flow. Emotion.
- Chi, stress and anger. Sinking your chi.
- Non verbal communication: speaking with your body and your tone.
- Coaching sum chien – bringing it to life!
- Being a teacher – being a good teacher.
- How to conduct your self as a teacher
- Communication: how best to help your students understand.
- Connecting with your students
- How our art affects our character
- Organising a Nam Yang Group.
- Attend the lessons.
- A minimum attendance rate of 95% is required.
- Conduct your self in a fashion worthy of an instructor – i.e. with dignity and respect.
- Follow our code of conduct.
- Make a reasonable effort with your training.
Most people will pass although displays of bad character, rudeness aggression, disrespect, argument and similar may stand in the way of your receiving a teacher’s certificate. We expect anyone representing us as a teacher lead by example with good character values.
Yes, in which case you will only have to pay for that part of the course.
During your time with us you will take one certified Kung Fu grading (examination). The cost of this is included in the course fee – you will not be asked to pay extra.
Successful completion of this course will secure you a Level 1 teaching certificate allowing you to teach Kung Fu and Qigong with the recognition and authority of Nam Yang Pugilistic Association.
We will help with publicising your classes where we can, provide letters of endorsement, give you access to our logos, supply uniforms etc.
Yes. We are dedicated to maintaining a high standard amongst our teachers. Hence we require teachers to pursue their own training. We believe that if our teachers slack on their own training and let their standards drop it will bring the whole association and its teachers and students into disrepute.
1. Complete at least 14 days training per two years (i.e. and average of 1 week / year) with a senior teacher or:
2. Complete a 1 week instructor’s refresher course or:
3. Stay subscribed to our online instructor training and pass a straight forwards online assessment.
If you collect the certificate in person, no charge. If we supply the certificate by post $14.99.
Successfully completing the level 1 training gives you the opportunity to take the more in depth level 2 course in the future. This is not compulsory, though. We will do our best to support you with online training and a variety of future courses. You will be welcome to stay and train with us at the Kung Fu Retreat when you want. Ideally we want you to succeed as a teacher, leader and role model and to expand our kung fu family. We will do what we reasonably can to support you with this.
Yes. Although we don’t particularly recommend this. For people who can only take short breaks from work or other commitments it is possible to take this course in two parts – most likely of two weeks each. The certificate will be issued at the end of the course.
Yes. You will be welcome to continue at the Kung Fu Retreat and further your training. The cost will be as usual, based on length of stay. We will continue to coach you as a teacher and arrange teaching practise for you. Please mail us for full details.
The next level 1 course will run March 30 – April 27, 2019.
The first level 2 course will likely run July 24 – Sept 4, 2019 but this will depend very much on demand.